Thursday, December 3, 2009

Christmas lists and Christmas trees

Today I wrote some Christmas lists. When I was about 8 yrs old that meant I wrote a list of things I want for Christmas, mostly a run down of various toys and games advertised on TV... At age 38 that means I write a list of people I need to buy gifts for, a list of people I need to send holiday greetings to, a list of things to buy... like, I don't know, a Christmas tree.





Buying another tree is a dilemma. For years we had a fake one in New York. It was nice to know it was there, stowed away in a box for each Christmas. Then when we moved I left it in the basement and told our renters they could use it, but I doubt they have. They brought so many things when they moved in, I'm sure there was a Christmas tree of their own in there somewhere. Then we bought a small table top tree in Argentina when we arrived. We were in our small temporary apartment and a little fake tree was the best we could do. After that we bought another large one last year since we had a sizable living room in our condo, (real trees weren't an option in Bariloche, they only sold plastic ones). I truly believed we'd use it for years, but I wasn't going to drag a Christmas tree across the world to San Diego. So here we are without a tree... again.

4 comments:

Carolyn Watson-Dubisch said...

photo caption: Christmas morning 2008, Bariloche, Argentina

Jill said...

how about a tree in pot? That's what we had in Hawaii - it was a norfolk pine that grew alongside the kids...I also had a potted tree growing up and have fond memories of that crooked, spindly little tree....

Imagination said...

Wow, I really love what you’re doing at your blog. Keep up the great work!
A favorite website and children’s author that I’d like to share http://DannyTheDragon.com the book is a nomine for Best Children’s Picture Book of 2009! I think you may like to visit the author as well http://TinaTurbin.com

TAMMY said...

We don't have a tree either. Some pieces of ours got lost in our move a few years back. We always travel to be with our family for Christmas so I haven't bothered to replace it. But I'm thinking about snapping one up at the after Christmas sales this year.

"People are willing to take these extraordinary chances to become writers, musicians, or painters, and because of them, we have a culture. If this ever stops, our culture will die, because most of our culture, in fact, has been created by people that got paid nothing for it--people like Edgar Allan Poe, Vincent Van Gogh or Mozart."-Kurt Vonnegut

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...